Kawasaki Z650 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I just purchased a brand new 2019 Z650 ABS from a dealer and have rode it for about a week so far and about 50 miles. Love the bike but I'm noticing an odd sound when I roll off the throttle and let the engine brake. It's really hard to describe the sound but it sounds like some kind of whooshing/brushing noise. It does goes away when I pull in the clutch. I took a clip of me riding today which has many instances of this happening.
. Multiple examples of this sound at all of these timestamps:

0:26-0:27
0:59-1:00
1:05-1:06
1:08

Has anyone experienced this sound like this before? Really hoping it's normal given that it's a brand new bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I played your video a few times and hear the noise and I feel my bike made a similar noise when it was new too, maybe more constant when decelerating / engine braking, but similar and seems to have gone away after first couple oil changes. I also had a lot of valvetrain noise in the first 500 miles or so, which also went away after the first oil change - not sure if related or not. I would monitor if it is getting better or worse over the next 100-200 miles, if it is getting worse then I'd go back to the dealer.

ps - congrats on the bike, you'll love it :)

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear. I'm still far from my 600 first service so I'll cross my fingers and hope it'll go away by then.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I just purchased a brand new 2019 Z650 ABS from a dealer and have rode it for about a week so far and about 50 miles. Love the bike but I'm noticing an odd sound when I roll off the throttle and let the engine brake. It's really hard to describe the sound but it sounds like some kind of whooshing/brushing noise. It does goes away when I pull in the clutch. I took a clip of me riding today which has many instances of this happening.
. Multiple examples of this sound at all of these timestamps:

0:26-0:27
0:59-1:00
1:05-1:06
1:08

Has anyone experienced this sound like this before? Really hoping it's normal given that it's a brand new bike.
Hello there..
I just got a brand new 2020 z650 in October and it has been making the same noise under the same circumstances.

(probably just barely/not even at 50 miles riding yet)

Was wondering if yours is still making that sound? Seemed off to me as well, as I've never owned a bike before this one.

Note: It's definitely a sound that's present (as far as I've noticed) only when engine braking or letting off the throttle a bit.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At ~700 miles now and the noise is still there. It has been seemingly harmless so far. I did the 600 mile service at a dealership and no issues were found so at this point I’ve just considered it normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on this? I just bought a 2020 with 0 miles and today around the 65 mile mark that noise started for me as well. Super concerned as its also my first bike. Id appreciate it if you could let me know.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Z650
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any updates on this? I just bought a 2020 with 0 miles and today around the 65 mile mark that noise started for me as well. Super concerned as its also my first bike. Id appreciate it if you could let me know.
After riding almost 5000 miles, I haven’t noticed the sound in a while and have had no issues. I’m thinking this is something that has to do with bike break-in so I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After riding almost 5000 miles, I haven’t noticed the sound in a while and have had no issues. I’m thinking this is something that has to do with bike break-in so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Good to know. Its a really strange noise and since I'm very familiar with cars its just a little off putting especially on something you're on top of rather than onside of in case things go wrong. Thank you for responding back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have a 2017 z650 which I bought with 300 miles on the clock (its got 700 now) and it too makes the same noise - more noticeable when slowing down to a stop.

If I was a salesman I would say its part of the bikes character, and on reflection most of the multi cylinder Japanese bikes I have owned made similar noises - the Honda VFR especially.

So don't worry about it and enjoy what I consider one of the best thought out and rideable bikes on the road at the moment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

I got a brand new Z650 ABS 2021. I noticed this noise also. It seems like it's produced by the transmission when compressing. Kind of the electric cars noise or some new cars with a CVT transmission noise on desceleration.

All motorcycles have unique noises, just matter of getting used to. I wear earplugs to avoid most noises and the wind's noise when going at 130mph.
My Z650 motorcycle works fine, no problems at all. I already put about 450 miles. Looking forward to do the 600 miles service myself and then I will hit 9k RPM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you can hear the chain and sprockets whining, you aren't pushing it hard enough lol. Everything sounds different at 9k RPM :):):).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts